Students Transitioning to Second Year

This section provides information for students who are within their second and third year of studies.

An important thing to remember for students going into their second year of university is that you will not receive an advising appointment to enrol in your courses. Instead, you will receive an Enrolment Access Time, something that is further discussed below.

Information for upper year students

Enroling in Courses

For your second year (and the years following) of university you will be responsible for enroling in your courses without the help of a transitional program like Yu Start. However, you do have the option to speak with an academic advisor if you would like clarification on what courses you should take.

In order to enrol in your courses you will need to check your Enrolment Access Time, which can be done here:

To enrol in your courses for the next academic term you must:

  • Pay off your student tuition for the previous academic term, so there are no outstanding fees
  • Have access to a computer
  • Be familiar with the courses you need to complete your degree/certificate/etc

For a detailed guide on how to enrol in your courses please visit:

If you are unsure about which courses you need to take for the following academic term, please consult either your faculty advisor or visit ACMAPS and speak to our in-house academic counselor.

Degree Progress Report

Students wanting to view the progress of their degree completion can do so by accessing the Degree Progress Report.

The Degree Progress Report compares the courses that you have completed with the ones that are needed for your degree based on the current academic calendar. The report shows you what requirements you have yet to complete to earn your degree.

This is a helpful tool to use when deciding on the courses you should take for the following academic term.

Do not rely solely on the Degree Progress Report. It is a good idea to look over your degree requirements on your program website and to speak to an advisor before you go into your final year of study.

Filling out the SFP

The Student Financial Profile, or SFP for short, is an online application that is used to apply for York affiliated scholarships and bursaries, or to be considered for on-campus employment programs such as: Research at York (RAY), Work/Study, College Life at York (CLAY) and York Engaged Students (YES). It is important to fill out your SFP, not only because it is a requirement if you decide that you want to apply for on-campus employment opportunities, but also so that financial assistance can be provided for students in need

To access your Student Financial Profile (SFP) you must first go to:

In order to be considered for financial support you must fill out a Student Financial Profile at the start of every academic term (Fall/Winter or Summer).

Students with disabilities have the option of filling out a hard copy version of the SFP. The paperwork is available at the Bennett Centre for Student Services and the Ross Building in these locations:

  • Learning Disability Services W128 Bennett Centre
  • Mental Health Disability Services N110 Bennett Centre
  • Physical, Sensory and Medical Disability Services N108 Ross Building

Remember to pay close attention to the deadlines.

Apply for Scholarships & Awards

Upper-year students are required to fill out the Student Financial Profile if they would like to apply for scholarships and awards. If you indicate that you would like to apply for awards while filling out your SFP then you will be presented with a page listing a variety of awards and scholarships.

Mature students are able to apply to any award listed as long as they meet the award's outlined criteria. However, if you would like to search for awards or scholarships specifically for mature or single parent students, access the Online Awards Search Database ( and type in the terms "mature student" or  "single parent" in the keyword entry box.

Importance of Advising

Sometimes the best way to figure out if you are on the right track to obtaining your academic goal is to sit down with an advisor and go through your academic history. There are various advising centres on campus. The centre which will best suit your needs depends on your program and the faculty you belong to. Look below for a list of York's faculties.

*Mature students also have the option of visiting the ACMAPS office at 111 Central Square to book a general advising appointment.

Student Workshops

Workshops are a very valuable resource for university students and York offers a variety of them through academic support centres and colleges. The workshops offered at York cover a variety of topics from: tips and strategies for handling anxiety and exams, to learning dining etiquette for career meetings.  It is wise to take advantage of as many workshops as you are able to during your years of study.

  • Learning Commons - provides research, writing, career and learning support
  • Learning Skills Services - offers workshops that cater to enhancing academic skills Here you can find discussions on exam preparation, overcoming anxiety, enhancing memory, problem solving, etc
  • Personal Counselling Services - offers workshops that look at the entire university experience i.e. managing stress, dealing with relationships, dealing with grief, etc
  • Career Centre - offers various workshops on resume writing, improving interview skills, job search skills, finding out what you can do with your degree, and preparing you for the world outside of university

Considering Graduate Studies

Don't wait until your fourth year to start your research on graduate programs if it is something you are considering. Remember, a lot of detail goes into a graduate application. If you would like to pursue graduate studies at York University, view the Faculty of Graduate Studies website for more information:

Consider attending the various workshops at the Career Centre that focus on writing personal statements for graduate program applications and discuss financial assistance.

Speak to your professors and your tutorial leaders to find out information about the application process.