The information below relates to students who are in their last year of study and will be graduating at the end of either the Fall/Winter or Summer term.
Are you graduating this year? Here is a reminder of some things to consider when preparing for graduation.
- Speak to your program advisor to ensure that you completed (or are in the process of completing) all of the requirements for the completion of your program
- Apply to graduate
- this is done at the beginning of your last term of study
- Example: if you will finish all of the requirements for your program in the Winter term, then you must apply to graduate before the end of the first month of that term
- You can apply to graduate by clicking on the following link: http://www.yorku.ca/mygrad/preparing/apply/
- Decide whether you will be participating in convocation in the summer (June) or in the fall (October)
- Book your graduating photos appointment - http://www.yorku.ca/mygrad/memorabilia/
Convocation is the ceremony where the chancellor confers the degree. It's a very exciting time where you get to celebrate all of your hard work with your family and your peers.
If you would like to attend convocation, visit the following link to look over the convocation schedules and to RSVP: http://www.yorku.ca/mygrad/ceremonies
The Career Centre is especially useful to students during their last year of university studies. There are various workshops offered throughout the year on resume writing, interview preparation and job search strategies. The Career Centre also has insightful workshops that explain the job markets for various degrees, and panels where accomplished York U alumni speak with students about how to utilize their academic degree.
You also have the option of scheduling an appointment to sit down with a career counselor to discuss your options.
Visit the Career Centre website at http://careers.yorku.ca/ and browse through the workshops or the career plans and guides that are offered. You can also glance at their calendar of events to see when various activities are running.
Are you considering graduate studies? If you know that once you complete your degree at York you would like to pursue graduate studies, then it's very important that you start thinking about preparing for graduate admissions earlier rather than later.
All of the requirements for graduate programs at York University can be found at the Faculty of Graduate Studies: http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/graduate/
It is important that you pay strict attention to the program application deadline. Not all deadlines are the same.
Each year ACMAPS holds a Mature Student Community Celebration to recognize the hard work of graduating students and alumni, the support of our peer mentors and the accomplishments of the school year. It's a time to share success stories and reflect on the steps taken to reach important life and academic goals.
The Mature Student Community Celebration is usually held in May. To learn more about the celebration and when you can register, please visit our events page: http://acmaps.info.yorku.ca/events/